Periodic Returns Graph in StyleADVISOR
Is a periodic returns graph possible in StyleADVISOR?
YES! With some outside-of-the-box thinking we can create it. You can only graph ONE manager in this graph and it will be a bar chart.
How is this done?
The first step is to upload a custom return series into the program that will be used as your benchmark with all returns as zero. You will see why in a moment.
- Open StyleADVISOR and go to File…New
- Pull in the Manager Performance Graph from the Gallery on the left
- Select your manager (Remember, only select one manager)
- Choose your benchmark as the return series we just uploaded into the program as all zero returns
- You will notice a graph on top (the Mountain Graph) and one on the bottom (the Excess Return Graph)
- Make sure “Enable Chart Editing” is active and right click, Graph…Graph
- Select Graph 1: “Performance Graph” and click OK
- Go to the Location Tab and uncheck Visible, click OK
- Right click, Show Excess Return…vs. Market Benchmark
Essentially we have an Excess Return Graph where the benchmark returns are all zero. Therefore, we have built a periodic return bar graph. Once again, key notes:
- This can currently be done with only ONE manager at a time.
- The benchmark will not be included on the graph.
- It will be a bar graph.
More information about this topic: